Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Nothing on TV

Sometimes, when there is nothing good on television you learn something about yourself...........

What? You don't? Oh well, it's probably just me......

You see, one night not to long ago we were flipping through the channels and my honey happened to stop on a program about hoarders. You know, the one where people are more or less burying themselves alive within the walls of their home. Don't panic, this isn't going where you think!

Anyway, the program exposed a woman who just couldn't seem to give up any of her stuff even though she was surrounded by filth.

Then a psychologist was asked how and/or why a hoarding problem begins. It was explained that for some people, after they face a traumatic loss they are then unable and unwilling to give up something and eventually they can't part with anything and they tend to accumulate more and more stuff.

Other folks however, are perfectionists and that is the root cause of their hoarding.
Say what???

That's right, if they don't have the time or don't know quite how to organize a space perfectly they put it aside thinking that someday they will get back to it. However, if they don't get back to it the disorder grows and spreads and eventually becomes so overwhelming that the person never even attempts to manage it because they know they couldn't get it perfect. WOW!!

If anyone is still reading at this point they are wondering where all of this rambling is headed........

Well, it occurred to me (and it just seems to keep coming back to me) that my dear, sweet husband has been after me to blog again ever since I stopped. He says his misses it. Which I think is sweet but surprising (he lives with me so he is already familiar with any material I have to blog about.) Nevertheless, after months of him pestering me and reminding me I still haven't picked it up again even thought there was never a time that I didn't intend to blog again soon.
So why haven't I posted???

I have not blogged because, I am a perfectionist.

See, I had this third baby and I got behind on house construction pics. Then, I just got behind on posting in general. But, I was gonna get it all sorted out! I was just a month, no three months, no a year behind, and then, and THEN it was all just to much and I couldn't catch up!!!! I didn't even know where to start!

So I didn't....until now.

Now I will blog because my honey wants me to blog and because I don't have to be perfect. Someone profound died so that I wouldn't have to be perfect and I needed to be reminded.
So, thank you "Hoarders Buried Alive."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY....you're back!!!!

Mindi Tipps said...

I saw your Blog post in my Google Reader inbox and thought, "Who is that?! Oh yes, Victor and Colleen!" :)

I have to say, I blog for me. Really. :) It's an easy way for me to journal our lives and I use blurb.com to turn my blog into a keepsake book. I order one for each of my girls hoping they will enjoy/find comfort in it one day. All this to say, I think you'll look back and be glad you wrote about some of the big and little things in your lives.